Monday 24 September 2012

Getting my wool on

So I have finally started doing something with my fleece. My sister-in-law's grandfather gave me a few fleeces a while back now, from his gorgeous Suffolk-Merino cross, which produce lovely wool. Here they are:

The boys

I've started cleaning the fleece by soaking it in cold water to dissolve the dirt and then in warm soapy water to remove the lanolin. Makes it smell a bit better too.

Soaking

Drying

By chance I ended up visiting an open studio yesterday. Twisted Tailor studio is based just a mile up the road and produces beautiful knitwear, weavings and handspun yarns. Chatting to the ladies there I found out about a local spinning group. So I am excited to go along this week with my spinning wheel and wool and finally learn how to spin some yarns. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment